Pop-up Shop: Art, Fashion, Food, Music
Now in its fourth installation, SUPAFRIK is making its international debut at GALLERY O on H in Washington DC! It is curated around the theme of “Urban Contemporary Africana” and will showcase artwork and design that re-contextualize African aesthetics and traditions within a modern framework. We look forward to seeing you there!
WHAT: SUPAFRIK Pop-Up Shop + Gallery
DURATION: Thur Oct 18th to Sun Oct 21st, 2012
WHERE: Gallery O on H, 1354 H St NE, Washington DC
FASHION SHOW & LAUNCH EVENT: Thursday October 18th 6PM -11PM
Last summer, Toronto’s Kensington Market neighborhood played host to the wildly successful first installation of SUPAFRIK at Hotshot Gallery, an experimental “pop-up” concept: part exhibit and part shop. It was featured in Elle Magazine, TheGrid, NOW Magazine and received coveted mentions in blogs like BlogTO and the Torontoist. It attracted over 1,500 visitors who came to shop, peruse and participate.
SUPAFRIK will double as a space for programmed events over the four days that it takes over GALLERY O on H. These will include the opening event fashion show and performance by Grammy nominated singer/songwriter and DC native, WAYNA from her much anticipated third album. Also, an Afro-House music themed shopping parties, a food tasting event to sample an afro-fusion “designer” food menu, and more.
* Chinedesign: The new Marrakesh collection making an exclusive world premier in DC.
* Ann & Arrayata: Toronto-based ethical designer who refashions raffia into beautifully constructed chic bags and purses. Proceeds go to charity work in Rwanda.
* Chichia London: UK based clothing label ethically manufactured in Tanzania using traditional kanga textiles.
* ShineShine: home-ware designers and made in Cape Town, South Africa.
* SAWA: Made in Africa sneakers by Paris-based designers.
* AITF (Africa Is The Future): graphic t-shirt’s by the Parisian multimedia collective.
The gallery will also feature the work of visual artists such as Kalkidan Assefa whose work is inspired by musical icons such as Fela Kuti and Nina Simone. Other participating artists from across the DMV area will be announced.
SUPAFRIK is the brainchild of Toronto fashion designer Chinedu Ukabam of the clothing label Chinedesign. Chinedu travelled to New York, Paris and London collecting some of the unique items for sale at SUPAFRIK and documented the journey on the SUPAFRIK blogFor the full calendar of events, visit: www.supafrik.com.